Advanced Care in Emergency Departments (ACED)
A new program brought to you by the same fantastic folks providing TNCC and CAMAN throughout British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon!
View the upcoming course schedule at the bottom of this page.
We are very excited to be introducing the Advanced Care in Emergency (ACED) course, our newest program designed to take the Emergency Nurse to the next level in their practice. Built around the concept of “the professional nurse”, students will learn how to challenge themselves, their knowledge and their practice to be confident that they are providing the best care possible to their patients.
Brief Program Description
This two-day program covers the following topics:
- Personality Styles – What’s your style and how do you communicate with other styles?
- Research – Evaluating research and implementing it into your practice
- Hemodynamics – Case studies illustrating hemodynamics and the interventions that help or hinder
- Ventilation – Gas, Gasses and Gasser (Air/Blood/Ventilator) in an easy to understand format
- 30 in 30! – 30 Evidence-based practice tidbits that you should be doing now or stopping immediately…
- Scope of Practice – A term everyone throws around...but do you really understand it?
- Leadership – Of self, others and systems…
- Conflict, Stress and Mentorship – Just another day at the office!
- Brain Games – The subtlety of neurologic signs, symptoms and deterioration
- Rules – Truly understand the Ankle, Knee, Head and many other rules…
- 6-Pack Abdomen – 6 Cases to discuss conditions and diagnostic testing
- Winning or Losing? – How to know if you’re patient is getting overall better or worse
- ‘Yer Outta Here! – The fundamentals of being the RN escorting a patient on the road to another facility
In addition to the above, we cover various other concepts and skills throughout the course:
- Priming ART/CVP Lines, drawing blood from them and troubleshooting waveforms
- Hands-On with the Ventilator – the basics of set-up, checks, alarms and troubleshooting
- Applying various “Rules” – Ankle, Knee, CT Head, etc.
- IV Fluids – Which ones do what?
We didn’t learn this through lectures…and neither will you!
A fundamental concept in the course is that it be engaging and non-threatening. There are multiple activities used to achieve the teaching objectives – case studies, group discussions, scenarios and even some creative use of your mobile phone! No pre-reading required and no exam at the end. Participants will leave with a “clinical cheatbook” with the important points to take home and their notes from class contained within.
As with our other programs, we will run courses anywhere! If you would like to book a course at your facility, please contact us! Our current list of courses is at the bottom of this page.
How our ACED registration process works...
- Search our online course availability below.
- If there are still confirmed spaces in the course available you will see "Regular Registration" selected. If there are no spaces left, you will see "Waiting List" selected. If you are registering for a waiting list space, make sure you read the process at the link mentioned.
- We encourage you to register with your personal email address - most health authority e-mail systems filter out our pre-course emails that contain course details and location information.
- You will receive an official receipt by email once your payment is processed in the weekly batch.
- There is no pre-course reading or exam! Yippee!